Welcome Southern Maine Youth Hockey Association COACHES
to the 2018-2019 Season!
Southern Maine Youth Hockey Association (SMYHA) is looking forward to another fun and exciting season with our players, parents, and coaches.
You, the Coaches, are the backbone of this organization, and we wouldn't be able to do what we do without your enthusiasm, dedication, and effort - Thank you!
All Coaches that will be participating at ANY level of play MUST complete the USA Hockey and SMYHA registration process for 2018-19 season. This is true regardless of your years of experience coaching with either side of the organization. Those with many years as well as those entering their first season coaching with us - all must register.
The following is your TO DO List
1. Please visit the USA Hockey Registration page to register as an on ice coach for 2018-19 (even if you plan to just help on the bench). Once you have completed this process, you should print out your USAH Confirmation number, which you will need during the HYH/Breakers registration. www.usahockeyregistration.com
2. You must also complete the age specific training modules for each of the teams you plan to assist. Modules must be completed prior to the start of the season. USA Hockey age modules.
3. Maine Amateur Hockey Association also has a screening process that must be filled out by our coaches and assistant coaches. MEAHA SCREENING
4. Finally, please click on the registration link on the left side of this page to finalize the registration process with SMYHA This registration session will allow you to provide contact and experience information and express your interest in coaching assignments.
For more on becoming a coach: http://www.usahockey.com/coachingcertification
**In addition, Head Coaches and Assistant Coaches, upon completion of your CEP course (if needed this year) and online Age Specific training Modules, please forward an email copy of your receipt of payment and completion certificate to the SMYHA Treasurer, Bradley LaForest. He will ensure that forms are approved and your money reimbursed.
95% of running a successful practice is planning!
USA Hockey has your back! They provide a catalog of resources for coaches to utilize to plan age appropriate drills and skill activities. Mix up your practices use USA Hockey practice plans and make better use of your team's ice time!
The Registration "Coaches Corner" is not currently available.
Please direct all questions to:
Tier IV Coaching Director
Tier II / III Coaching Director
Coaching Clinics for Level 1-3 are held between September and December each year. Dates will be added as soon as we know, but check the link below for more information and to register.
CEP Level 1
CEP Level 2
CEP Level 3
CEP Level 4
June 23-24, 2018 in Concord, NH
August 4-5, 2018 in Hartford, CT
* These will be the only level 4 clinics offered in New England this year.
For more information or to find additional clinics, please visit http://www.usahockey.com/page/show/892976-coaching-clinics
USA Hockey is offering: Try Coaching for “Free” for a Year
A coach that is just starting in the USA Hockey Coaching program can try coaching for “free” for one year.
This is only for the 6U, 8U and Learn to Skate level.
The coach must complete:
o Age-Specific Module (8U)
o Have a Background Check
It is up to the Association to monitor this situation.
If the coach decides to continue coaching the next year they must follow the Coaching Education Program. That is, take a Level 1 Clinic and whatever Age-Specific Module not completed. The Association must make sure the coach follows the Guidelines listed above.
For further information please go to:
You're looking for players whose name on the front of the sweater is more important than the one on the back. I look for these players to play hard, to play smart and to represent their country ~ Herb Brooks